[Spread-users] Spread - network adapters

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Mar 13 10:21:22 EDT 2014

Hi Matthew,

Sure.

By default Spread will bind to all of the interfaces on a machine. However if you want to control it to only use certain interfaces for certain purposes you can do that. There are some examples in the sample "spread.conf" file included in the Spread distribution.

Here is a piece of that sample config with some comments for your application:

# Multi-homed host setup
#
# If you run Spread on hosts with multiple interfaces you may want to
# control which interfaces Spread uses for client connections and for
# the daemon-to-daemon (and monitor control) messages. This can be done
# by adding an extra stanza to each configured machine.
#
#Sample:
#
#Spread_Segment 225.0.1.1 {
# 	multihomed1		1.2.3.4 {
#		D 192.168.0.4
#		C 1.2.3.4 }
#	multihomed2		1.2.3.5 {
#		D 192.168.0.5
#		C 1.2.3.5
#		C 127.0.0.1 }
#	multihomed3		1.2.3.6 {
#		192.168.0.6
#		1.2.3.6 }
#}

In your  case, if you want both the daemon-to-daemon (UDP) packets and the client connections to only use the primary IP interface, then you can change your config to something like this:

> Spread_Segment  10.151.141.255:14803  {
>         VPRDAPPNOS08 10.151.140.236 {
				D 10.151.140.236
				C 10.151.140.236 }
>         VPRDAPPNOS09 10.151.140.237 {
				10.151.140.237 }
>         VPRDAPPMAC12 10.151.140.234 {
				D 10.151.140.234
				C 10.151.140.234 }
>         VPRDAPPMAC13 10.151.140.235 {
				D 10.151.140.235
				C 10.151.140.235 }
> }

Note the effect of the first and second machines is the same because if no D or C is listed then it is assumed that all types of communication should be enabled on that IP. So if that's what you want, then you can use the notation in the second IP listed above for all of them.

Now one thing that will change here is that Spread will no longer use the localhost (127.0.0.1) interface either (unless you add it to the list of interfaces to use in the above configuration). So a connection from a Spread client application to a daemon on the same machine will no longer be able to use the localhost TCP but will have to use the primary interface IP of 10.151.140.X. That may reduce the client-server performance slightly as TCP localhost is often faster then through physical ethernet cards. Also

I would try this type of configuration and then run netstat again and see if it is binding to the interfaces in the way you want.

Jonathan Stanton		jonathan at spreadconcepts.com
Spread Group Messaging	www.spread.org
Spread Concepts LLC 	www.spreadconcepts.com