[Spread-users] Current view number

Pablo Pessolani ppessolani at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 14:09:31 EST 2014

Hi John:

I am working on a project with similarities to wackamole (a distributed resources allocation algorithm).

>> Or are you just marking messages so that they can be easily ignored if they are delivered in a different view than the one in which the client thought they were sent?

PAP: Yes, I am interesting to know the view version to discard messages outside the current view.

>>However, in EVS (Spread) semantics, message delivery and view changes occur asynchronously. That is, there is little ordering dependence between them. A message is not necessarily ordered and delivered in the view in which the client *thinks* it is sending. Several views might be installed between the time a client sends a message and it gets to delivered in EVS.

PAP:  I know that message delivery occurs asynchronously for

UNRELIABLE_MESS
RELIABLE_MESS
FIFO_MESS
CAUSAL_MESS
But, what about.

AGREED_MESS
SAFE_MESS
message delivery? I think that they will be synchornized with view change messages ?

>>> then you may want to look into the flush layer of Spread that provides exactly such a service.
PAP: I don't understand this statement. Can you explain me about it?

Thanks John.
PAP