[Spread-users] Spread User Limits

Ed Holyat Ed.Holyat at openlink.com
Tue Aug 5 10:02:34 EDT 2014

The OpenLink Spread version is not compatible with the Spread Toolkit distribution as it provides for some additional enhancments.
- The OpenLink distribution provides for wildcard subjects
- Additional configuration that may not be available unless you recompile the source e.g. OnlyLeaveMemberships, and MaxSessionsAllowed.

OnlyLeaveMemberships - prevents forwarding of all members subscribed to a particular subject, increases throughput and allows for more members to join a group.
MaxSessionsAllowed - prevents daemons from being overloaded with forwarding messages to subscribers.  This is based on OpenLink's internal testing.

I believe you are running into the case where you need to increase the MaxSessionsAllowed variable.  The default is 300 as this is the optimal amount derived from our internal testing to allow for fail over and performance considerations.  If you are hitting this limit it is usually the case that one of your daemons went down and additional OpenLink sessions are now using that daemon or you need to add another daemon into your configuration.  I would move forward by incrementing this value by 100.

Also, there were some bug fixes incorporated since the original OpenLink distribution with V9.  So, I would also suggest that you open a support ticket and request the latest versions of the OpenLink ECOM distribution which contains the newer daemons that are backwards compatible with V9 messaging.  This new distribution can only be used for updating the daemons and should not be applied to the Core Endur/Findur application binaries.
One of the main fixes was a race condition discovered that caused the daemons to resend a significant number of messages because the token passed was beating the broadcast message to the next daemon
 DTS100934: Fixed issue where spread daemons were unnecessarily retransmitting messages.  You can determine if you are running into this issue by running the monitor program and checking if the u retrans and s retrans values contain a high number in the hundreds or thousands.