[Spread-users] Questions about CAUSED_BY_NETWORK

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Mar 11 14:31:24 EDT 2013

> Is this summary correct?

Yes, I think you've got it!

> Is my assumption right that a "self join" and a "self leave" (i.e. the member owning the connection represented by the "mbox" parameter of SP_receive is joining/leaving a group) is never communicated in a CAUSED_BY_NETWORK message but rather as CAUSED_BY_JOIN, CAUSED_BY_LEAVE or CAUSED_BY_DISCONNECT?

Good question.  Typically, that is how it would work, but I believe there is an edge case where a client's (self) join message is ordered right around the time a network partition is occurring (i.e. - the join message is ordered after a transitional signal -- right on the tail end of a membership that is in the process of partitioning) that then the join message can be translated into a CAUSED_BY_NETWORK membership message to maintain the useful meaning of the VS sets across the entire daemon membership change.

Also, I don't believe a client will ever get a self-leave that is CAUSED_BY_DISCONNECT.  I believe that self-leaves should always appear as special CAUSED_BY_LEAVE membership messages, per the documentation.

> And finally: I guess that the maximum length of a membership message body CAUSED_BY_NETWORK (parameter "mess" of SP_receive) is primarily a function of the number of connections in the whole configuation.  Do you have any estimation of this function for me, so that I don't risk partial membership messages given a known maximum number of connections?

The easiest thing to do is always call SP_receive with a maximally sized groups and body, which for out-of-the-box Spread is less than 150KB (MAX_MESSAGE_BODY_LEN in sess_types.h -- this constant isn't exported as part of the user API because it covers all headers, groups and actual message bodies too, which makes it a bit confusing).  If you don't like having such big buffers (with potentially a lot of memory waste per message) or having to copy the actual message out into a more appropriately sized buffers, then there's another more complicated way.  If you call SP_receive with too small buffers then it will return a GROUPS_TOO_SHORT or BUFFER_TOO_SHORT error and the filled out fields will tell you how big the message you tried to receive actually is.  Then you can re-call SP_receive with appropriately sized buffers and get the message.  All of that is documented in http://www.spread.org/docs/spread_docs_4/docs/sp_receive.html  So, you can always call with zero length buffers and then appropriately allocate, or you can have a first guess that will usually be big enough without too much waste and then allocate only if necessary.  Spread will not give you partial messages nor discard such messages unless you explicitly pass the DROP_RECV flag as part of the service type.

More to your specific question, the thing that takes up the most space in membership messages are the membership list and the VS sets.  The union of all the VS sets must be a subset of the membership list -- indeed, I think that it actually equals the membership list.  The membership list is proportional to the product of the number of members in the group and the size of group names (MAX_GROUP_NAME).  Given all that, I think a conservative estimate of a maximally sized group would be something like (150 KB - 10 KB) / (2 * MAX_GROUP_NAME) ~= 2000 members.  If you called SP_receive with a groups array of your maximum number of clients (max_clients) and a message body >= max_clients * (12 + 2 + MAX_GROUP_NAME), then I think that should suffice.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz