[Spread-users] Cluster Vulnerability Question

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Sun Mar 3 12:36:45 EST 2013

Hi Lyric,

I've thought a bit about your problem and I think I have a potential solution.

My basic idea is to build a user level, message recovery process that would normally allow failing over clients to recover any messages they missed whilst they were disconnected.  The recovery process would ephemerally cache the most recent messages for the groups in which it is participating.

When a client fails over to a new daemon it would send a message to the recovery process specifying the messages it did receive, then the recovery process would retransmit any missing messages.  This could either be done through Spread communication or a more conventional client-server TCP architecture.

The main issue with this approach is being able to specify the msg id's that a client did and did not receive.  You could either institute a user-level id'ing scheme or possibly you could change the daemon to reveal the agreed ordering of messages within daemon memberships.

Alternatively, along the same lines, you could augment the Spread daemon and API to build this service into the daemon itself.

I hope that helps!  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want help in building such a solution.

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC