[Spread-users] Communicating between 130 hosts with Spread

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Aug 8 09:23:41 EDT 2013

> I see that Spread always sets SO_KEEPALIVE on a TCP daemon connection. Rather
> than fiddle with system-wide keep alive parameters, since both our target
> systems support TCP_KEEP* I'd be tempted to add those for a custom SP_connect
> build in our distribution.

In 4.2, we turned on SO_KEEPALIVE on both sides of the connection, the daemon and the client, that activates TCP's keep alive semantics.  The problem is that OS defaults for these timeouts are typically useless, as has been pointed out, and need to be adjusted to make this actually useful for fault detection.  Unfortunately, the OS parameters that control the keep alive behavior are typically system wide and usually can't be set on a per connection basis for some reason.

I'm not sure I understood what you are suggesting as an alternative?

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC