[Spread-users] "Connected closed by Spread" on receiving

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Fri Apr 20 15:28:15 EDT 2012

> By the way, after SP_multicast returns with success isn't the sender able to close the connection without problems anyway?

Not necessarily:

http://ia600609.us.archive.org/22/items/TheUltimateSo_lingerPageOrWhyIsMyTcpNotReliable/the-ultimate-so_linger-page-or-why-is-my-tcp-not-reliable.html

Indeed, from reading that it might be that a peer calling close (i.e. - SP_disconnect) while data to receive is pending in its OS, then the OS may immediately send an RST to the server, which would cause it to report the error we saw in the logs.

So, what I think might be happening here is that your sender sends his msg no problem, the daemon sends that msg to the receiver, but for some unknown reason around that time the receiver closes its socket while there is still data for it to receive in its OS, which causes its OS to immediately send an RST, which causes the server to get the error we saw in your logs.  In this theory, the underlying issue is your receiver client calling close somehow on its socket for some reason.

Maybe if you tell us more about your Spread version and OS environments that might shed some more light?

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC