[Spread-users] Delays in receiving messages

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:31:33 EST 2011

Hi Kevin,

To me it seems you have some loss on your network and possibly a control
message (either a token or a hurry request) is lost for some reason.

Now, 10 messages per second for Spread is equivalent to an inactive network
for most of the time (it would take a millisecond or so to propagate the
one message and then there are 100ms with quiet.

The question is why the control message is lost occasionally.

Changing the hurry timer is actually a fine solution if it solves your
problem. You can actually eliminate the problem all together if you
void the slow-down feature, but that will have a price of the token
rotating even without new messages.

If you tell more about what your goal is, perhaps better comments can
be made.

Cheers,

	:) Yair.