[Spread-users] Delays in receiving messages

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Feb 1 12:41:48 EST 2011

Kevin,

It has been a while since I touched that code, but I think that
it is likely that the scenario you present will lead to the representative
holding the token unnecessarily. If so, this is entirely my fault -
you got me here algorithmically :)

We'll need to think of an elegant algorithmic solution for this - should
not be too hard, but may take a bit of time.

Meanwhile - here are two ways fix this behavior in a non-elegant way:

1. Edit the file protocol.c in the daemon directory and modify the Is_token_hold
    and To_hold_token functions to always return (0).
    This will avoid the representative holding the token.

2. Alternatively, you can reduce the hurry timeout to a more acceptable value (50ms?)

Thank you for tracking this. I guess one learns something every day!

	:) Yair.