[Spread-users] sporadic latencies with SP_receive

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Aug 4 20:36:39 EDT 2011

Johannes,

I am beginning to work on a new release of Spread that I hope to be able to put out by the end of this month.

I will take a look at your program and see if I can replicate your results.  If I can, then I'll try to dig down further into the issue.  It strikes me as potentially an issue with thread-switching / mutex locking and the "OS resolution" on such switches.

The MAX_PRIVATE_NAME thing is a bit weird because that is the expected size of the arrays whereas a C string has to be nul terminated, meaning a spread group name can really only be MAX_PRIVATE_NAME - 1 characters long (+ a nul terminator).  I doubt we can change this to align these two slightly different, off by one, meanings without breaking backwards some programs already out there, but I will look into it too.

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC