[Spread-users] Spread confiugration for vpn-tunnels

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Tue Sep 7 14:27:23 EDT 2010

Unfortunately, I'm not really following what you are asking and your network diagrams aren't really helping.  However, Spread does support multiple interfaces on a single host and allows you to specify which ones to use for daemon-daemon and client-daemon communications.  For example,

Spread_Segment 127.0.0.1 {

  host1 192.5.36.1 {
    C 192.5.36.1
    C 192.5.36.2
    C 192.5.36.3
    ... repeat for any other client interfaces
    D 192.168.1.1
    D 192.5.36.1
  }
}

configures a multi homed machine to accept client connections only on the interfaces specified with the "C" in front of them.  Daemon-to-daemon traffic will only be received upon the 192.168.1.1 and 192.5.36.1 interfaces. Daemon-to-daemon traffic will be sent on whichever interface your kernel routing dictates to reach the destination address in question.  Please note that if you specify the interface bracket after the host's IP then you need to specify at least one C and one D interface.  Alternatively, if you omit the C or D then the interface can be used for both kinds of traffic.  The most likely to work configurations will have all the daemons in a configuration being able to reach every other daemon interface specified in the configuration (i.e. - no routing holes, etc.).

This is all fairly well documented in the sample configuration file that comes with Spread, sample.spread.conf, in the docs directory.

To answer your other questions, Spread uses the hostname you list in the configuration file to form private client names that connect to that daemon.  Clients are given private name strings of the form: "#<client_name>#<hostname>".  The "hostname" that you specify, however, can be any arbitrary string.  Spread will do a DNS lookup of the name and complain if it doesn't match the listed IP.  You can override this safety feature by using the -n option.  You can also omit listing the IP, provided that every daemon can do a successful DNS lookup of the hostname that you put there (and return the IP that you want) -- if not your configuration probably won't work right.  Similarly, you can omit the hostname so long as you specify the IP -- the "hostname" will then just be a stringified version of the IP address.  Generally, we recommend specifying both the names and the IPs, preferably with the name actually being a DNS name that will map to the given IP.

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC