[Spread-users] Quick question about how Spread uses broadcast

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Wed Oct 6 10:12:38 EDT 2010

Broadcast (or multicast) is only used to disseminate msgs within a LAN.  When a message originates in one segment, the originator will point-to-point UDP send the message to the leader of each of the other segments.  They in turn will broadcast (or multicast) the message within their segment.  So, no, you don't need to support directed broadcast between the segments.

The leader of a segment is the first daemon listed in the configuration file of that segment that is currently alive.

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC