[Spread-users] Issue with Spread going silent

Luke Marsden luke-lists at hybrid-logic.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 09:13:45 EST 2010

Hi Yair,

Thank you. I agree 4% packet loss is high. I get quite a bit of packet
loss when saturating the network interfaces (spsend/recv or ping -f),
but none at all when transmitting just a small amount of traffic. Since
in normal operation Spread shouldn't go near saturating the network
interfaces, I agree that this is unlikely to be the cause of the
problem. An interesting artefact of the virtualisation though.

I have rearranged the machines in the spread.conf. They are using their
public IPs for this test, not the 10.0.0.* addresses (although they
exhibit the same behaviour either way):

Spread_Segment 178.22.66.147:4803 {
    2f20196c853548e7 178.22.66.147
}
Spread_Segment 178.22.67.102:4803 {
    27edda570dce48bb 178.22.67.102
}
Spread_Segment 178.22.67.48:4803 {
    fff0bbd5e0da4103 178.22.67.48
}

I've added the MEMBERSHIP debug flag, and this is the output. I started
the spread daemons from left-to-right, which now corresponds to
top-to-bottom :-)

http://lukemarsden.net/debugging.png

Does this shed any light?

--