[Spread-users] Spread scaling

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:33:18 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:13:42PM -0600, Richard Maxwell wrote:
> One of the questions I have is spread configured out-of-the-box to
> handle large amounts of messages (50k) per hour?  are there some
> common tweaks that I can make to make the out-of-the-box spread
> install more production worthy?

Out of the box, spread easily handles well over 50k messages per
hour.  I have successfully benchmarked it sending thousands of
messages per *second*.

As for making it more "production worthy", that should not be
necessary in the general case.  Section 2.4 in the Spread Users
Guide[1] is titled "Tuning Spread for Performance or Unique
Situations."  However, unless the messages you are sending are
enormous and/or your network is exceptionally slow or unreliable,
the defaults should easily handle 50k messages/hour.

I would suggest writing two trivial programs, one to send messages
and one to receive the messages.  This serves two purposes: to
convince yourself that spread will handle more than 1k messages
without issue, and if you still have the issue, you can post the
code and probably get some more detailed help or explanations.

Good luck,
Matt

[1] http://www.spread.org/docs/guide/users_guide.pdf