[Spread-users] Membership message vs regular message

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Feb 19 04:46:12 EST 2010

Hi,

If you have only a single publisher you can use the self-discard flag
and then publisher will not receive its own messages.

If you have more than one publisher, you can maintain a second group
where publishers as well as receivers join (but no message is sent)
to keep track of the membership of the main group.

Also - I think there is a slight inaccuracy in previous posts - Spread
will detect failures even if you are not sending traffic if you run a daemon
on the failed (or partitioned) machine and connect locally.
My understanding is that he only case where Spread does not immediately detect
a failure is in certain setups where you have a client that connects to Spread
remotely via TCP (with a remote daemon) and the client machine is partitioned.
This is a TCP/socket issue rather than a Spread issue.

Cheers,

	:) Yair.