[Spread-users] Intro

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Tue Nov 17 13:14:59 EST 2009

Hello.  The intro doc asked me to introduce myself so here I am.

I'm a spread newbie, but not entirely a newbie to virtual synchrony.
Back in the 80's, I wrote a distributed wall street ticker plant,
(Sequent Balance, Sequent Symmetry, Sun 3/50's, later Decstations), and
later rewrote it in ISIS.  But that's been a few years ago now and the
spread doc seems a bit lean in terms of background info by comparison to
what I remember from ISIS.

Questions...

Has anyone made any noise about updating the debian/ubuntu packages to
spread version 4?  They seem to be a few years out of date, I'm in a
position to volunteer the work, and I'll need packages anyway if I go
through with my upcoming project using spread.

Also, using the python-spread package currently available on
debian/ubuntu, how do I tell the ordinality/seniority of a group
member?  Is that just something I need to track on my own and ship to
joining processes as new state?

Here's a situation I'm unsure of.  I'm looking to create redundant,
distributed state here.  A process is running and it sends a state
change message at the same time as a second process joins.  Upon
receiving the join message, the first process will send a state dump to
the second process.  However, if the state dump message is formulated
and sent prior to receiving the state change message, then isn't it
conceivable that the messages will be received in the "join", "state
change", "state dump" order effectively losing the "state change"
message for the second process?

Is there a guarantee I'm overlooking here?  Or is there a standard way
to deal with this situation?

--rich