[Spread-users] Should I dare touch the clock?

drago.krznaric at se.transport.bombardier.com drago.krznaric at se.transport.bombardier.com
Fri May 8 11:19:23 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a single spread daemon and a bunch of programs communicating via
spread messages
through this daemon. All programs and the daemon are running on the same
machine.

>From previous mails on this list, I know that people have had problems
with message
delivery when they have changed the clock, via settimeofday and even NTP.

But I'm not sure if this can only occur when there are multiple daemons or
if it can happen
in my case too. Browsing through the code in events.c, it looks as it
could happen in my case
too, although the probability is perhaps small.

Has someone a testprogram/argument proving that this is either true or
false?

I'm thinking about changing the gettimeofday call in E_get_time to
something that is not
affected by some external source setting the time, for example,
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC).

Has someone done something similar before?

Cheers,
Drago

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
les présentes, avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrants.
Merci.