[Spread-users] broken link to programmers reference

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Feb 26 13:42:15 EST 2009

A vs_set is a list of members who remained connected to each other
through a (network) membership change.  In short, this means that
those members received the same set of (>= AGREED) messages from the
beginning of their previous membership up through this membership
message, with some minor caveats.

These sets can be exploited when you are doing some form of
synchronization between members.  Basically, if you were already
synchronized with the members in your vs_set, then is no need
to resynchronize with them after the membership change as you
will/have processed the same set of messages and, therefore, still
should be synchronized.

http://www.spread.org/docs/spread_docs_4/docs/SP_get_memb_info.html

The memb_info gives you your vs_set, which is usually the one about
which you care.  You can extract the names of the members that stayed
connected with you through the membership change using
SP_get_vs_sets_info().

If you want to see all the vs_sets that came from different
partitions as the result of a network merge, then you can call
SP_get_vs_sets_info() and access each of the sets using
SP_get_vs_set_members().

Understanding and exploiting these sets is a pretty advanced use of
Spread and is probably not what you should be worrying about
initially.

Cheers!
John

---