[Spread-users] Message sequence counter wrap bug fixed

M S martin4321234 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:19:24 EST 2009

Hi Jonathan,

in the meantime I did some stress testing concerning that patch and I
am no longer sure about it.

Instead of a 2^31 limit I tried a 4096 limit. This leads to a faster
counter re-initialisation by dropping the token every 4 hours in case
of our application. This is working fine 3 or 5 times but afterwards
one of the spread daemons will exit with a message like this:

2009-01-19 21:28:08 GMT Send_new_packets: created packet 3589 already exist 3
Exit caused by Alarm(EXIT)

I'm using 3.17.4 with only the small patch below (taken from your SVN
development version).

What is the meaning of the log message above?
Any hint would be helpful,
Kind regards,
Martin

*** protocol.c.org		 Mon Nov 20 21:17:29 2006
--- protocol.c		 Tue Nov  4 15:01:12 2008
***************
*** 458,463 ****
--- 458,471 ----
  		 if( !Same_endian( Token->type ) )
  		 		 Flip_token_body( New_token.elements[1].buf, Token );

+         /* Deal with wrapping seq values (2^31) by triggering a
membership by dropping the token */
+         if( (Memb_state() != EVS ) && (Token->seq > (1<<30) ) )
+         {
+             Alarm( PROTOCOL, "Prot_handle_token: Token Sequence
number (%ld) approaching 2^31 so trigger membership to reset it.\n",
Token->seq);
+
+             return;
+
  		 if( Conf_leader( Memb_active_ptr() ) == My.id )
  		 {
  		 		 if( Get_arq(Token->type) != Get_arq(Last_token->type) )