[Spread-users] Just one question of Spread

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Apr 9 13:15:19 EDT 2009

Spread is not set up out-of-the-box to function in the store and
forward client-server model you seem to want.  However, I can think
of several different ways to achieve something pretty close to what
you want.  Remember though, that Spread does no form of message
persistence.

In Spread, all members of a group get all messages sent to that
group.  So, you could do round robin processing where each group
member processes every ith message, counting from the last membership
change, while discarding the rest.  A given member is assigned their
"i" by their position in the membership list.  This assumes that the
cost of processing different messages are roughly the same.  If some
messages can "cost" much, much more than others, then you may want a
different approach.

To get closer to what you want, you could write a little queueing
server that receives from a Spread group while accepting client
connections. Then as messages come in it can dish them out to clients
that have registered a want for them.

The Spread server itself will allow a client to have about 1000
ephemeral messages in its memory before it will kick the client from
the server and drop messages destined for them.  If you read them out
of the Spread server, then your queue could be as deep as you want it
to be.

Cheers!
John

---