[Spread-users] packet not exist alarm

John Robinson jr at vertica.com
Wed May 14 11:34:41 EDT 2008

Under heavy competing (TCP) load, we have found that spread sometimes
reports network partitions.  In at least one case, a spread daemon
crashed with this alarm:

[Sun 11 May 2008 10:12:24] ====================
[Sun 11 May 2008 10:13:00] Discard_packets: (EVS before transitional)
packet 41 not exist
Exit caused by Alarm(EXIT)

The configuration is a single network segment with 3 daemons on 3 hosts,
and one client per daemon.  The daemons are nice -20 (but not
real-time).  OS is Red Hat EL5.  The traffic load over spread is modest.

Have others dealt with situations like this?  One thought we had was to
change the configuration to 3 segments to force the daemons to use TCP
instead of UDP (is this correct?).  No doubt the daemons are seeing a
very heavy UDP packet loss rate.  We hope not to have to deal with
configuring QoS or insisting on two networks.

Many thanks,
/jr