[Spread-users] RE: set ip to listen to

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Mar 12 12:03:04 EDT 2008

Hello,

I thought it was a bit odd at first to, so I looked into it. I'll give
an example from my machine and what each socket is used for. In your
case, I think the extra UDP socket that is showing up is a socket used
to 'send' udp datagrams from Spread, but is never used to receive, so it
is not bound to a specific interface or port.

Here is my full list. I used lsof instead of netstat as the Mac version
of netstat doesn't show the program name like the linux netstat -lp
does.

Goldberry:mac jonathan$ lsof -n -i | grep spread
spread    40116 jonathan    3u  IPv4 0x3bbf518      0t0  UDP 10.0.1.150:4803
spread    40116 jonathan    4u  IPv4 0x3bc2380      0t0  UDP 10.0.1.150:4804
spread    40116 jonathan    5u  IPv4 0x3bbfd88      0t0  UDP *:*
spread    40116 jonathan    6u  IPv4 0x3dfc66c      0t0  TCP 10.0.1.150:4803 (LISTEN)
spread    40116 jonathan    7u  unix 0x7ff46e8       0t0    /tmp/4803
spread    40116 jonathan    8u  IPv4 0x3bbf5f0      0t0  UDP *:*

First line (file descriptor 3) is the main socket for receiving
daemon-to-daemon data messages. If you have a multi-node configuration
you will also see a UDP/IP socket bound to your "broadcast" address and
port 4803. This is needed on most unixes to receive broadcast/multicast
traffic when you are binding to specific interfaces. This is controlled
by the configuration file "D" option.

Second line (fd 4) is the main socket for the daemon receiving the Token
that controls flow and reliablity. This is controlled by the
configuration file "D" option

Third line (fd 5) is the UDP Sending socket, so 'bind()' is never called
for it as it is only used to send outgoing udp datagrams. Since it is
only sending, it is not bound to a specific interface.

Fourth line (fd 6) is the socket listening for TCP client connections.
This is controlled by the configuration file "C" option.

Fifth line (fd 7) is used for the UNIX domain socket for client
connections on the local machine.

Sixth line (fd 8) is a UDP socket created to SEND status reports to the
monitor program. The incoming datagrams from the monitor program are