[Spread-users] Failure Detection of members on same segment

Pilling, Michael Michael.Pilling at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Jun 25 02:37:18 EDT 2008

I imaging your problem is running windows XP.

We had this problem. Spread is a highly efficient lazy protocol,
it doesn't send pings, only detecting failure on an attempt to send.

Windows XP doesn't detect cable disconnection, where as most other OS/s
do.

You can fix this with a registry edit.

Thanks to Steve Duff for finding this fix.

"Just to feed back a quick workaround to the list, Microsoft have
documented a method to disable the Media Sensing feature which causes
the problem with Spread under XP. You can find it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924/
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924/>

"

----
Dr Michael Pilling
C3I Division
DSTO
PO Box 1500
Edinburgh SA 5111
Phone: 08 8259 7017 Fax: 08 8259 5589
email: Michael.Pilling at dsto.defence.gov.au

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the
CRIMES ACT 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are
requested to contact the sender and delete the email.