[Spread-users] Daemon deleting client's un-forwarded messages on client disconnect?

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Fri Jun 13 11:00:00 EDT 2008

Out of ignorance, I'm not sure if your analysis is correct.

If it is correct, then I would say it probably has to do with the
timing of the detection of the client failure + announcing that to
the other daemons and getting the messages built up in its buffers out.

It is a bit strange to send messages from a dead client even after
his death has been detected.  You could get into quite strange
situations where the same client process reconnects even before its
own previous messages have been sent, so it gets its own messages
(from a different ID) and notice of its death.  Of course, this is
also technically possible even if Spread kills the connection
immediately upon detecting its death (no common knowledge).

So, should you send out the detection of the disconnection before
or after all of his messages are pushed out?  It seems like Spread
currently decides to announce the disconnection immediately upon
detection and to drop any messages in the connection buffers on the
floor.  What you want is for Spread to push out any messages in the
buffer and then announce the disconnection.

You could probably implement that somehow, but I'm not really sure on
the details.

Cheers!
John

---