[Spread-users] pid and process control

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Fri Jul 25 18:09:43 EDT 2008

Dave Koberstein wrote:
> Just a thought ... if you are using & in your perl/system call, try
> instead using fork/exec.

exec() won't work because I can't get the return value from that. fork()
has a similar problem. If I fork and then do the system() call without
the "&" it never returns. If I use the "&" it's the same problem as
above. I guess I could do something like fork and then exec in the
child. Wait a couple seconds in the parent then check that my child
hasn't died... Just seems a little messy.

Any other ideas?

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP