[Spread-users] pid and process control

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Fri Jul 25 16:52:52 EDT 2008

Howdy,

I'm trying to incorporate spread into an existing project. This project
needs to control when spread starts and stops (it does similar things
with apache). This is pretty easy to do if I have a .pid file. I just
tell spread where to put it and then I can use it.

The problem is that my spread isn't leaving a pid file anywhere. I've
even configured it --with-pid-dir but no luck.

Another problem I'm having is that when I try to start the spread server
(in Perl using the system() function) it always returns 0 as the exit
status even if it couldn't start.

I'm doing this all on Linux (Fedora6) with spread 3.17.4. Any thoughts
or ideas about what I'm missing?

Thanks,
--
Michael Peters