[Spread-users] increasing spread socket buffer

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Feb 21 13:19:42 EST 2008

You can find longer answers in the spread-users archives, but the short version is Yes, you can change the buffer
size. There are two buffers.

1) socket buffer is the operating system buffer to store data for a particular socket before it delivered to the
application or network (depending on if you are receiving or sending). That buffer size is raised up to as large as
200kbytes in the Sess_accept() function in session.c. Normally there is no reason to change this as if it gets
full, the client and daemon correctly handle the send/receive error and will retry the send when there is room in
the OS buffer.

2) the daemon message buffer is defined in the
daemon/spread_params.h file. You want to raise the value
of the MAX_SESSION_MESSAGES define to a larger value. This is how many messages the daemon will store "Per Client
Connection" before cutting the client off by disconnecting them.

Most likely if your receivers are getting cut off, this is the limit you want to raise. You will need to recompile
the daemon after changing this (but not the client libraries)

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science