[Spread-users] Getting started with spread

Rodrick Brown rodrick.brown at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:30:32 EST 2008

Hello all I'm very new to spread actually came across it today and wanted to
get a feel for it.
I'm using the java API and having a bit of trouble connecting to my spread
daemon and sending basic multicast messages.
>From my understanding the messages should be sent to stdout this does not
happen and i'm not seeing any received packets from spmonitor

Here is my simple test code.

[rbrown at macbookpro:/opt/spread/etc] $ egrep '^[^#]' spread.conf
Spread_Segment  127.0.0.255:4803 {
        localhost               127.0.0.1
}

My java code.
public class SpreadExample   {
    public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException,
SpreadException {
        SpreadVersion ver = new SpreadVersion();
        SpreadMessage msg = new SpreadMessage();
        SpreadGroup group = new SpreadGroup();
        byte[] data = new byte[] {'h','e','l','l','o'};

        SpreadConnection connection = new SpreadConnection();
        InetAddress spreadhost = InetAddress.getByName("localhost");
        connection.connect(spreadhost,4803,"group",false,false);
        group.join(connection,"Agroup");
        msg.setData(data);
        msg.addGroup("Agroup");
        connection.multicast(msg);