[Spread-users] Problem with multiple network interfaces

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Sep 13 10:54:18 EDT 2007

Thursday, September 13, 2007, 10:49:22 AM, you wrote:

> Thanks for your answers.

> What should I do? How can I prevent Spread from using IP multicast?

If you don't want Spread to use broadcast or multicast then simply put
each Spread daemon into a singleton segment.  For example:

Spread_Segment 127.0.0.1 {
  itaf27 129.88.97.27
}

Spread_Segment 127.0.0.1 {
  itaf37 129.88.97.37
}

Spread_Segment 127.0.0.1 {
  itaf104 129.88.97.104
}

This will cause each daemon to use UDP unicast to communicate its data
to all other daemons.  So, each sp_multicast() will translate to (N-1) UDP
unicasts on the network.  This is, of course, suboptimal.  Preferably,
if you have the capability, then you should get multicast or at least
broadcast to work between the daemons properly.

Cheers!

---
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC