[Spread-users] Spread bandwidth throttling

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Nov 13 21:58:23 EST 2007

Spread doesn't have any bandwidth limiting built in, however the load it puts on the
network "in addition to the application messages your clients send" is quite small and
mainly involves a small token packet making rounds of all of the daemons (if idle it only
circles every second or so, if nodes are sending it circles more often)

So if you do bandwidth limiting at the application client level by limiting how many
messages you send, the actual network load should be close to what you send through the
clients.

Since Spread just disseminates the messages your applications generate, any 'fixed'
bandwidth limit could have the problem that the clients actually send faster then that and
so more and more messages have to be buffered up in the daemons -- eventually causing
very high latency for message delivery and possible blocking of the sending clients
(because the daemon won't buffer more messages for them)

Your solution using virtual network interfaces which are bandwidth limited should work
fine (noting, however, the observations in the previous paragraph). Spread can be
configured to bind to specific interfaces for daemon-daemon traffic and client-daemon
traffic. Check out the sample configs in sample.spread.conf in the source distribution.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science