[Spread-users] Sudden freezes in message delivery using C API

Doug Palmer Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Mon May 28 22:41:14 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 11:25 -0400, John Schultz wrote:

> The quickest diagnosis then would be to simply lower the Hurry_timeout and
> see if that affects your hiccup timings.

Sure enough, lowering Hurry_timeout lowers the freezes to the same
amount of time as the timeout.

> Another potentiality is that you have a bad network hardware that is
> causing lots of loss on a particular link.  You can look at the output of
> the spmonitor prgram when it is reporting status on all the machines and
> if you see lots of retrans, then you might have a network problem that
> Spread is overcoming with some work.

The spmonitor program shows increasing numbers of s-retrans on whatever
machine is sending the messages. Only certain combinations of
send-receive pairs and network setups seem to produce this effect and
I'm not sure what the relationship is (for example, sending A->WAN->B
produces freezes, sending A->WAN->Switch->B doesn't).

I'm not sure what the difference between u-, s- and b-retrans is.

Doug