[Spread-users] flooding mailboxes SP_error (-8)

Jim Vickroy Jim.Vickroy at noaa.gov
Thu May 10 12:14:36 EDT 2007

Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On May 10, 2007, at 8:53, Jeremy Ma wrote:
>
>> I'm running into this problem where I have one program sending
>> messages to another program yet the receiving program is not
>> handling/reading the messages fast enough so after about a minute or
>> so, I get an SP_error. The problem lies with my mailbox flooding and
>> eventually spread quitting.
>
> Yup, it'll do that.
>
>> One thing that might fix this is if everytime I call a read from my
>> mailbox, I read until my mailbox is empty. Is there some
>> function/flag in spread that will indicate to me when my mailbox is
>> empty?
>
> SP_poll() is what you're looking for.
quoting Tim Peters (2004-03-18) ...
"""
A Spread mailbox *is* a socket handle, and, e.g., can be passed to
select() like any other socket handle. There's also the SP_poll()
function, but it's not particularly good even for polling because it
doesn't return an error code if the client has gotten disconnected (it
returns 0 then, so a "polling loop" just using SP_poll() will never know
it if the client gets disconnected).

"""