[Spread-users] Binary messages

Glenn glenn at somanetworks.com
Wed Aug 22 10:04:23 EDT 2007

Ricardo Clemente wrote:

> I have been using spread to multicast log messages from servers.
>
> Now, I have another application in mind that will use spread to
> multicast binary data and I´m wondering if there is any problem with that.
> Has anyone already use spread with binary messages?

Yes.

> Can anyone see any issue with that?

Nope.

We have a complex event infrastructure based on the IBM Common Base
Event specification written in C, and we use spread as the transport
mechanism to get events from senders to subscribers.  For efficiency we
serialize the event into a binary format before sending it; receivers
obviously deserialize the event.  Arguably we could have serialized it
into a text form for transparency over the wire, but we went with the
binary format as we were concerned about the volume of traffic when
significant numbers of events are being generated.

--
Glenn McAllister     <glenn at somanetworks.com>      +1 416 348 1594
SOMA Networks, Inc.  http://www.somanetworks.com/  +1 416 977 1414

   Asking a writer what he thinks about criticism is like asking a
   lamppost what it feels about dogs.
                                                     - John Osborne