[Spread-users] Spread for HA rpc services

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:47:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

Spread guarantees that the order of members in the membership list is
consistent across all members. You can just pick the first member and
be assured all other members will pick the same member.

In fact, if you only use AGREED messages, then the order of the message
can tell you who should serve it. For example, suppose you have 5 members
in the membership, the first member (based on the order in the member
list in the membership message) should serve all the "1 modulo 5" messages,
the second member should serve all the "2 modulo 5" messages and so
on. In such a way, there is no need for a leader - just count the messages.

Cheers,

	:) Yair.