[Spread-users] Spread 4.0 daemon "goes to sleep" on XP network disconnect

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Aug 8 12:01:33 EDT 2007

Hi Steve,

In my opinion, Spread can be made to handle this situation, although
it is not a 5 minutes fix. If my memory serves me well, the only meaningful
place where a network is relied upon in a case on a singleton, is
in passing the token from the local daemon to the local daemon.
A potential strategy would be to add code that in the case of
a daemon that wants to send the token to itself, it will somehow
bypass the network (it can also send it to localhost but this seems
ugly and breaks Spread clean separation). Maybe Jonathan can
have a better insight.

This is not the only relevant such unicasts - spmonitor is
also using these, but I think this strategy will solve the core problem.

If you really need this, perhaps the quick ugly fix is what you need (checking
on token sends if they are destined to this daemon and if so just send them to
127.0.0.1 instead).

Cheers,

	:) Yair.