[Spread-users] Spread 4.0 daemon "goes to sleep" on XP network disconnect

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Aug 8 10:35:39 EDT 2007

Hi,

It looks to me that in your case, the operating system does not pass messages
from the machine to itself when you unplug the cable. This means that
Spread cannot send a unicast to itself on the local node. You can verify this by
using the two programs spsend and sprecv provided with Spread (you may
need to build them - "make spsend", etc.)

Run both of them on the singleton machine before you unplug to verify
that unicasts from spsend to sprecv using the IP address from the
configuration file will be received. Then, unplug and try again.
Then plug and try again. If my observation is correct,
spsend will not be able to pass messages to sprecv on your system locally
on the same machine when the cable is unplugged. It may be that it
even drops the whole interface if the cable is not plugged.

Let us know if this is the case.

Cheers,

	:) Yair.