[Spread-users] spread local message patch

Yair Amir yairamir at cs.jhu.edu
Mon Sep 18 21:07:53 EDT 2006

Hi Daniel, Tracy,

In terms of scalability with the number of groups, Spread is quite good
and adding these groups should not make a difference in terms of performance.

Assuming all the group members are always local to one daemon, the LOCAL_MESS
flag can be implemented to preserve Spread semantics across groups (not sure
whether the current patch preserves this - to do this, the daemon needs to wait
for other messages that are on the way to be delivered prior to delivering this
message, depending on the desired service). It will, in this case has the
performance benefit of not sending messages on the net at all.

However, there is no way for the daemon to know that all group members will
be local at the time of initiating the message. This creates a problem in that
the daemon has to trust the application that all members will be local - otherwise
non-local members will see the semantics violated. It probably could be solved
as well, but for a relatively high complexity price.

Interesting issue non the less.

Cheers,

	:) Yair.