[Spread-users] prob. related to spread

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Fri Sep 8 11:00:05 EDT 2006

Pankaj,

Currently, the spread library ultimately is potentially blocking in both
SP_receive and SP_*cast.

You can mitigate this issue to some extent by using select() on the
mailbox, which is a file descriptor, to test for incoming data and when
there is room to write on the socket.  However, select() will signal that
the file descriptor is ready when there is *any* data to read, which can
cause SP_receive to block if more still has to come across the
client-daemon connection.  Similarly, select() will signal write readiness
the first time a single byte can be written to the file descriptor without
blocking.

You can further mitigate this problem by using either SP_poll or
ioctl(FIONREAD) to test the amount of data ready to be read in a
non-blocking manner and ioctl(FIONWRITE) (I think) to see how much can be
written in a non-blocking manner.  On the read side, you have no way of
knowing how big the next message will be so you could still block but you
can at least wait until there is a significant amount of data.  On the
write side, you should be able to wait until the file descriptor is open
enough to send your entire message and not block at all.  The harder
question in those scenerios is how do you prevent your select() loop from
spinning because from select()'s POV the file descriptor is ready for
action.  I don't have a good idea on that right this second.  Maybe
someone else on the list can chime in with a good idea?

Good luck!
John

---
John Schultz