[Spread-users] Spread crashing randomly & logging impact on performance

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:13:11 EST 2006

On 10/30/06, John Lane Schultz <jschultz at spreadconcepts.com> wrote:
> Matt Garman wrote:
> > What we're finding is that our spread deamon is crashing every 10 hours
> > or so.
>
> You should be getting better stability than that.  Are the processes exhausting
> memory or anything?

We found that it's tied to the presence of virtual machines running
spread daemons in our segment.

So we've since removed the virtual machines from our segment, and no
longer run spread on the virtual machines.  We've since seen perfect
stability.

Although I still have no idea *why* the virtual machines cause
problems for spread.  For what it's worth, our VM setup is VMware
Workstation verion 5.5.1 build-19175.  Host operating system is
Windows XP Home.  Guest OS (running spread) is CentOS 4.3.

> Fix the logging problem first so we can see if Spread is seg faulting or if it
> is committing suicide through an Alarm w/ a diagnostic message.

Will do; I'm just now getting the logging fixed (see my other post :)

Thanks again,
Matt