[Spread-users] Spread output different when redirected?

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 10:12:11 EST 2006

Hello,

I've found that when I run spread with no EventLogFile directive in my
config file, that all requested log information is output to
stderr/stdout.

However, if I redirect the output (e.g. spread > file.log 2>&1), the
file to which I redirect is empty.  Even the initial "splash" screen
isn't being written to my redirected file.

If I turn on full debugging (i.e. DebugFlags = { ALL }), then plenty
of information is written to the file (too much information,
though---I just want DebugFlags = { PRINT EXIT }).

Is there code in spread to detect if stderr/stdout is being redirected
to a file, and if so, behave differently?

Or is it a matter of stdout/stderr not being flushed?  I would think
though, that the OS (or even spread itself) would flush all output
buffers before exiting.

Thanks,
Matt