[Spread-users] perl / php interface for v4?

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Thu Oct 26 15:48:15 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm just evaluating spread to see if it can help us with communication
for a web-based app involving several servers.

As I'm using a Redhat flavour of Linux (workstation FC6, dev and prod.
servers CentOS4.4) I downloaded the SRPM from here:

http://rpmbin.nogin.org/random_RPMs/SRPMS/http://rpmbin.nogin.org/random_RPMs/SRPMS/spread-4.0.0rc2-1.RHEL4WS.src.rpm

I notice that this doesn't package all the source file contents so I
also downloaded the source tarball from spread.org
(spread-src-4.0.0.rc2.tar.gz)

Will the Spread modules on CPAN work with spread v4? e.g.:

http://search.cpan.org/~jesus/Spread-3.17.3-1.07/
http://search.cpan.org/~markpf/Spread-Message-0.21/
http://search.cpan.org/~jmay/Spread-Session-0.4/
http://search.cpan.org/~jmay/Spread-Queue-0.4/
http://search.cpan.org/~apocal/POE-Component-SpreadClient-0.04/

The sort of thing I want to do is have a web application written in php
send a message to trigger a "purge" command to be run on several
instances of squid.

So, I presume I'd run spread on each of the servers involved, and a perl
app on the squid servers that connects to spread, joins a "squid" group
and listens for msgs - running a purge command when it receives an
appropriate msg. The web app would connect to spread and send a msg to
the squid group telling them to purge.

Are there any examples illustrating how to get started using the perl
interface?

Thanks,

R.