[Spread-users] spread performance on linux virtual machine?

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:20:35 EDT 2006

Hello,

We are using spread to facilitate a number of group communication applications.

Our development consists of CentOS 4.3 machines running under VMware
workstation on Windows XP.

I wrote a small spread performance test program.  I ran the test
program from my VM.  I tried three different spread daemon
configurations:

   (1) running a spread daemon on a different (non-vm) machine, and
pointing my test program to that daemon
   (2) running a spread daemon on both my vm and a different (non-vm,
the same as above) machine, and pointing my test program to the remote
daemon
   (3) running a spread daemon on both (as above), and pointing my
test program to the local (vm) daemon

In cases (1) and (3) above, I experienced 0.03% message loss.  In case
(2), I experienced 4.675% message loss (i.e. two orders of magnitude
greater).

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be the case?

Thank you!
Matt