[Spread-users] Events not getting handled properly

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Nov 20 16:14:34 EST 2006

Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an issue with a Spread deployment.  The ring is very simple; 1
> segment, 3 nodes, all running Spread 3.17.3, running Solaris 10.  Under
> circumstances that I'm not quite sure of, Spread stops handling user
> events (existing connections, accepting new connections).  Based on some
> preliminary debugging, it appears that the Protocol_threshold is getting
> set to 1 (MEDIUM_PRIORITY) and never set back down.
>
> Is this a known issue or something somebody may have a good way to deal
> with?

AFAIK the most common time the daemon raises the threshold is during a daemon
membership change.  If the setting is never coming back down it could be that
your membership is continually thrashing for some reason.  You could turn on
membership logging and see what is happening there and whether or not it is
stuck in the membership algorithm.

We have had one similar report of the daemons getting stuck during membership,
in particular in the EVS state.  We have a patch that works around that
condition and will be available in the new 3.17.4 and 4.0.0 releases.  The patch
is currently available through SVN checkout for 4.0.0.  I have attached the work
around to this email as well.  The official releases are imminent as well.

Cheers!

--
John Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC