[Spread-users] Is pid file writing implemented?

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Nov 14 04:25:23 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 02:47:17PM +0100, martin345 at arcor.de wrote:
> spread version: 3.17.03
>
> Spread should write a pid file. Apparently this is planned because of a specific configuration option. But in my opinion something is missing in the implementation.
>
> The configure script has an option --with-pid-dir
> The Makefile implements PATHSUBS and FIXPATHSCMD, but the latter is called only for man pages.
> In config.h there is a constant _PATH_SPREAD_PIDDIR, but it is used nowhere in the code.
>
> Can you confirm by observations? Will pid file writing be implemented in a later release?

Some distributors of Spread (Debian in particular) required a pid file (and a few
other changes). Some of the required changes were included in the main spread
release such as the configure script changes for PID files, to make it easier on
the maintainers, but not all of the changes were merged (some were distribution
specific)

So PID directory support has existed before, just not in mainline. I'm not really
opposed to including it, but it's the kind of feature that would be optional, as we
want Spread to be runnable in a regular user directory without any special setup or
other directory configuration.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science