[Spread-users] mbox corruption and timeouts in membership.c

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:21:36 EST 2006

Hello,

We are seeing a fair amount of mbox corruption in some of our
spread-based receiver applications.  This happens more often with our
Perl-based spread apps.  I.e., what we are finding is that that many
Spread::receive() calls result in -8 and/or -18 codes.

The second question, and this may be related to our first problem: we
are using significantly smaller *_timeout values in our version of
spread (on the order of 2000--10000 usec).  We believe that the mbox
corruption may result from one (or more) of these values being too
small.

Does anyone have any detailed documentation on these timeout
parameters (other than the code, obviously :)  Or perhaps general
guidelines given network topology?  Or is trial-and-error the best
approach here?

Thank you,
Matt