[Spread-users] CPU usage tripled when spread daemon killed

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Mar 16 12:16:33 EST 2006

HungJu Cho wrote:

>I have two nodes system using spread daemon (v3.16)
>for replication. With both nodes running under normal
>traffic, top shows spread daemon using around 10% CPU
>on both nodes. Once one spread daemon is killed, the
>other spread daemon CPU shoots up to 40% (4 times) and
>stays high. The client application CPU only go from
>23% to 30% CPU at the meantime. Any idea why missing
>peer spread daemon could cause such effect?

When a daemon crashes or partitions away the remaining daemons will go through a period of increased activity as they first try to ensure that he is really gone and then trying to reestablish a new membership.  Once the new membership is established, then the daemons should go back to normal operational levels.  This process should normally take anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds depending on your configuration.

If you are saying that the daemons remain at elevated computational levels permanently, I do not know what could be causing that effect.

---
John Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC
Phn:  301 498 3233