[Spread-users] what configuration for a LAN of 150 machines dynamicallygrouped by 2 or 3 ?

John Lane Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Thu Jul 6 13:27:05 EDT 2006

Philippe Reinquin wrote:
> We are also looking for potential solutions to replace it (and solutions
> with support on contrary of ISIS)

ISIS was one of the first group communication toolkits to be built.  Spread came
later and is a more modern design that supports many of the same communication
paradigms and has been ported successfully to most *nix platforms.

In addition, my company, Spread Concepts, offers both support and consulting
services with respect to Spread installations.  If you are interested, then
please contact us at info at spreadconcepts.com

> Yes they are all on the same sub-network.
>
> What about my other solution ?
> "team1" composed of tux1, tux3 and tux4 running "Spread -c Spread1.conf"
> "team2" composed of tux2 and tux5 running "Spread -c Spread2.conf"

It depends on what you want.  Do you want clients on all of the machines to be
able to perceive clients on all the other machines?  Or do you really only want
clients in the same group/team to be able to communicate and perceive each other?

If it is the latter, then you can certainly break your system down into multiple
spread configurations that do not intercommunicate and this will get away from
the limit on the number of daemons -- the "drawback" being of course that
clients joining these different configurations cannot intercommunicate through
Spread.  If you chose this path, then the only reason to include all 150
machines in the different configurations is to ease moving a machine from one
configuration to another.  "Moving" a machine from one configuration/team to
another would simply require killing the spread daemon and then restarting it
while pointing it at the new configuration file.

Also note that Spread 4 (in release candidate 2 right now) has the ability to
allow for dynamic reconfiguration that can often not require daemon shutdown or
mass client disconnection.  However, in the case where you are changing a
daemon's basic communication parameters (i.e. - multicast group/port) I believe
the daemon will simply commit suicide.

Cheers!

--
John Schultz