[Spread-users] what configuration for a LAN of 150 machines dynamically groupedby 2 or 3 ?

Philippe Reinquin Philippe.Reinquin at artal.fr
Thu Jul 6 10:45:28 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have a question about the configuration (spread.conf).

- Suppose I have a network of 150 machines (I modified the
MAX_PROCS_RING parameter).
- Suppose I want to run an application distributed on "teams" of 2 or 3
machines (not more than 80 teams) virtually working in synchrony
(sharing the same "instant" view on datas consistent on each group).
- Assuming that very few messages (approx one message of 4Ko per minute
+ less than 10 msgs of 100bytes per second) are sent inside each team.
- Also assume that each machine could belong to one unique team but the
team members can change (we can take one machine of team1 and affect it
to team2 with a supervisor command)

(Q1) What is the best configuration between :
SOLUTION1: running Spread on each machine with a static configuration
declaring one segment with 150 machines inside
Spread.conf:
Spread_Segment 230.1.1.1:9900 {
 tux1 10.10.1.1
 tux2 10.10.1.2
}
if I want to have 2 teams respectively with tux1+tux2 and tux3+tux4:
tux1 joins group "team1"
tux2 joins group "team1"
tux3 joins group "team2"
tux4 joins group "team2"

SOLUTION2: running Spread on each machine with 80 different
configuration files (one configuration per team declaring the 150
machines inside) with 80 different ports and addresses
SpreadTeam1.conf
Spread_Segment 230.1.1.1:9901 {
 tux1 10.10.1.1
 tux2 10.10.1.2
}

SpreadTeam2.conf
Spread_Segment 230.1.1.2:9902 {
 tux1 10.10.1.1
 tux2 10.10.1.2
}
tux1 executes Spread with SpreadTeam1.conf and joins group named "dreamteam"
tux2 executes Spread with SpreadTeam1.conf and joins group named "dreamteam"
tux3 executes Spread with SpreadTeam2.conf and joins group named "dreamteam"
tux4 executes Spread with SpreadTeam2.conf and joins group named "dreamteam"

I think this configuration is better if an application runs crazy and
starts flooding the team communication with a lot of messages: best
protection for the other teams ?

thank you for any advice