[Spread-users] How to install Spead on MAC

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 3 06:05:15 EDT 2006

--On 2 July 2006 22:24:08 +0800 Ta Ti <liiinace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new in this list, I find Spread is really powerful, it can save me a
> lot of work. However, I just couldn't install Spread onto MAC not only
> because I am not familiar with Spread but also not familiar with MAC.

If you're not confident building UNIX software on the Mac, I'd recommend
looking at DarwinPorts, which makes it somewhat easier. Essentially, it's a
Macintosh  installer for all sorts of Unix software, including SPREAD.

<http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/>

> when installing binary distribution
> 1, which architecture should I choose? Linux?

I don't recall having to choose an architecture, either installing directly
or with DarwinPorts. However, Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD, so choose
FreeBSD or BSD if they're available.

> 2,Mac OS X has a Terminal console, must I use this to install Spread?

Oh yes!

> 3,when I type "make arch-linux" (as users_guide.pdf told) into Terminal
> console, there is an error "make: *** No rule to make target `arch-linux'.
> Stop." What should I do?

sudo -s
./configure
make
make install

> 4, after installing binary distribution, what can I do is just run a
> Spread?
>
> when installing source distribution
> 1, as users_guide.pdf told me, I type "./configure" to install it.
> the results are
> Spread has been configured with the following options:
>                     User binaries: /usr/local/bin
>                   System binaries: /usr/local/sbin
>               Configuration files: /usr/local/etc
>                    User libraries: /usr/local/lib
>             Shared Spread Library: libspread.dylib
> Shared Thread-safe Spread Library: libtspread.dylib
>                      Header files: /usr/local/include
>                      Manual pages: /usr/local/man/manX
>                          PID file: /var/run
>                Manpage format: doc
>                           Host: i386-apple-darwin8.4.1
>                         Compiler: gcc
>                       Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall
>                        Preprocessor flags:
>                            Linker flags:
>                               Libraries:
> what is ridiculous is that I have no /usr/local directory.And I have no
> privilege to make a directory in /usr.

If you don't have administrator privileges after typing "sudo -s", and
can't log in as an admin user, then you should give up.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex