Fwd: [Spread-users] multigroup_multicast

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Jan 6 23:52:45 EST 2006

Hi,

This is a rare occasion where I can improve Ryan's answer a bit.

In my opinion, group membership messages are originated locally
by each daemon. Single join/leave messages are agreed ordered so
they should be usually ordered as soon as they are received and should
appear at the same time (almost) an all daemons in a segment regardless
of their position in the segment.

Multi-segment configurations should usually get the messages based on
the latency from the joining process' daemon to their segments with slight
increased latency based on the order of the segments.

For memberships that are caused by network, there will be slight preference
for installations of them based on the order, but we are talking about
sub-milliseconds in the same segments.

Another note is that in general for agreed ordering (or lower), Spread does not wait
for other daemons, so there is no need for the daemon to determine that all
other daemons have met required guarantees. Waiting for required
guarantees is correct for Safe ordering.

     Cheers,

   :) Yair.